(406) 563-5538 info@anacondatifid.org


This page includes information on permits that may be needed depending on your location in the TIFID and the kind of development you propose. Additional permits may be necessary for specific developments.

Floodplain Development Permit

A Floodplain Development Permit would be required for any construction within the 100-year floodplain of Mill Creek. The delineated floodplain is shown on the Floodplain Map. The permit must be obtained from the ADLC Floodplain Administrator prior to any construction activities.  For more information contact the ADLC Planning Department at 406-563-4010.

Stormwater Discharge

Stormwater Discharge General Permits. Any work that would cause a discharge of storm water into Mill Creek will require a Stormwater Discharge General Permit from MDEQ. Detailed information on permit requirements is available on the DEQ’s website.

View Permit Information

404 Permit

404 Permit. Any work that will result in discharge of fill material into a wetland will require a 404 Permit from the US Army Corps of Engineers. Available wetland information is shown on the Wetland Map. Additional guidance on obtaining 404 permits is available on the Corp of Engineer’s website.

View Permit Information

ALDC Development Permit System & ARWWS Operable Unit

The project is located in the ARWWS Operable Unit which subjects proposed construction to review and approval under the ADLC Development Permit System. During the Development Permit Process, developers will coordinate ADLC Planning Department and Development Permit Office to develop an Institutional Controls Work Plan (ICWP) for the development. The ICWP will identify any impacted soils on the chosen site and any remediation that has previously happened to those soils.  During site excavation, ADLC Staff will sample soils to determine if special soils handling is required.  If it is required, it will generally include the following provisions:

  • Excavated material may be reused as backfill as long as it is covered by an approved cap.
  • If field sampling, performed by ADLC Staff, determines that soils which need to be disposed of off-site are impacted, soils must be hauled to a nearby repository.

In the Mill Creek TIFID, several areas with impacted soils have already been remediated by covering the impacted soils with approved capping material, as shown on these maps showing Completed Remediation as well as Planned Remediation.

The Arrowhead Foundation created a set of videos displaying economic success in the remediation area.
View The Videos

For more information on the Development Permit Process, contact the ADLC Planning Department at 406-563-4010.

Montana Department of Transportation (MDT)

Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) Approach and Encroachment permits may be necessary for access to the Mill Creek Highway and frontage improvements. The following documents will be useful in preparing and submitting approach and encroachment permits:

Permits will begin in the Butte District Office.  To discuss approach permits, developers should contact Lee Alt at (406) 494-9611 or lalt@mt.gov.  To discuss encroachment permits, developers should contact Janet Black at (406) 494-9619 or jblack@mt.gov.

Building Permit

Before beginning construction on new buildings inside the Mill Creek TIFID developers will be required to submit a building permit.  For more information contact is Dusty McKenney, ADLC Building Inspector, at 406-563-4011 or dmckenney@adlc.us.  The following link will take you to the building permit application and instructions.

View Permit Information